“The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.” — Dorothea Lange
The Waterford Fair invites you to participate in the 2017 Photography Exhibit and Sale, which has been going strong since 1988!
Photographers of all skill levels are welcome to submit images for exhibit and judging, or other photography works for sale only.
Photographs submitted for judging are eligible to win ribbons and $1,500 in cash prizes.
This year, the exhibit will be held at the Red Barn in the center of the village….guaranteeing healthy foot traffic.
To prepare your entry, simply follow the three steps listed below. If you have any questions please email us,
Scroll down to view the prospectus.
Photographs will be judged according to the category submitted and for Best in Show.
Winners of each category, including Best in Show, will receive a blue ribbon and a $100.00 award, except for the Best Loudoun Photograph, which will receive a $500 award from Loudoun Now.
Red, yellow, and white ribbons will also be awarded for second, third and honorable mention.
Wayne is an experienced DC area photographer who teaches nature photography classes throughout the year and often judges competitions. He specializes in nature photography but has also tackled wedding, school groups, and craft show photography. Wayne is a member of the North American Nature Photography Association, National Association of Photoshop Professionals, Northern Virginia Photographic Society, and the Vienna Photographic Society.
Josh Taylor has presented photography workshops at the Smithsonian National Orchid Show, U.S. National Arboretum, U.S. Botanic Garden, Brookside Gardens, Sarah P. Duke Gardens, American Horticultural Society Garden School, Adkins Arboretum, and Longwood Gardens. In addition to being a Canon camera instructor, he is a frequent speaker at camera and garden clubs, and exhibits his photographs in gallery shows. Josh is a member of Garden Writers Association, National Association of Photoshop Professionals, and a member and past president of the Northern Virginia Photographic Society.
Deadline for submission
Wednesday September 27 by 5pm.
Photographs should be delivered to the Red Barn in Waterford, Virginia on Friday September 29 or Saturday September 30, 2017 between 10:00 AM and 2:00 PM on both days.
Photographs that are not sold must be removed from the Red Barn on Sunday October 8 between 5:00 and 6:00 pm or on Monday October 9 between 9:00 and 11:00 am.
Step 1: Entry Form Submission and Payment
NEW – The entry form must be submitted online and received by 5pm on Wednesday, September 27, 2017 to guarantee entry.
- Please use the guidelines below to submit your entry online.
- The entry form will be received by the Waterford Foundation and a printed copy will be available at Drop-Off (see below) to match with photographs entered.
- Please list all work both for exhibit/judging and for sale only on the Entry Form. Enter "NFS" in the price column of exhibited work that is not for sale.
ENTRY FOR EXHIBIT AND JUDGING
- A maximum of three photographs may be entered for exhibit and judging, whether or not they are offered for sale.
- If you are entering only one or two photographs, you may enter any category, including the Best of Loudoun Photograph category.
- If you are entering more than two photographs, the third photograph must be entered in the Best of Loudoun Photograph category.
- All photographs submitted for judging, whether color or black and white, must be matted, framed, and ready to hang. Other formats such as canvas wraps or metal prints are also accepted. All works must have screw eyes or D-rings and wires attached. No saw tooth hangers!
- The photographer who submits images for exhibit and judging may also enter works for sale at no additional cost.
- The total outer dimensions of the frame or border of the piece must be no larger than 120 inches (e.g. 24” x 36”or comparable).
- Best Loudoun Photograph*
- Still Life
- Waterford Fair or Waterford Scene
Special Category Requirements
*Photojournalism– Photographs may be in color or black and white. The photograph entered in this category must not be tinted or artificially altered and represent the scene without addition or removal of any details. The photographer will be required to certify on the entry form that no details were added or removed from the photojournalism image.
* Best Loudoun Photographs may be in color or black and white and must:
- Be designated for the Best Loudoun category.
- Be a minimum size of 8” x 10.”
- Indicate the location in Loudoun County.
- Have been taken within the last two years.
- Not be reentered from previous Waterford exhibits.
- Not be tinted or artificially altered and represent a scene without addition or removal of any details.
- The winning framed photograph becomes the property of Loudoun Now. However, the entrant maintains his/her ownership and reproduction rights.
- The photographer will be required to certify on the entry form that no details were added or removed from the image.
ENTRY FOR SALE ONLY
- Matted photographs and photo cards may be submitted for sale without exhibiting and judging.
- Such work must fit in a display unit provided by the photographer.
- Photographers who submits images for exhibit and judging may also enter works for sale at no additional cost.
- The Waterford Foundation will collect a 25% commission on all items sold.
- Exhibited photographs will be available for public sale, unless the entrant requests that they be withheld from sale.
- If you are on social media, you may wish to help promote sales by hashtagging your photos as follows: #WaterfordFair
The fee to enter is as follows:
- Entry for “exhibit and judging”
- for one photograph - $30
- for two or three photographs - $35
- Additional “sale only” works – included in fee listed above
- Works for “sale only” (not for exhibit) - $30 for lot
- The payment button is made at the end of the entry form via secure credit card.
STEP 2 - LABELS, SIGNATURE AND TITLES
- The photographer is required to fill out one online Label Form for each photograph entered. Label Forms can be found as a fillable PDF ONLINE HERE. Please print the label(s) and secure it to the back of your photograph. Labels are formatted to print on Avery Business Cards Template 8869, 2 x 3.5", 8 per sheet. You may also print on any 8.5" x 11" letter size paper and cut the labels. Your computer may open a print dialog box immediately upon opening. If this occurs, close the print dialog box and fill out the pdf. Save the filled in form and print. You may have to save the form before filling it out if writable fields do not appear.
- Names or signatures on the front of the photographs must be covered. Use of painter’s tape, gaffer’s tape, or removable label is acceptable; cover will be removed after judging.
- You are encouraged to include the title of the photograph so that it is visible on the front.
STEP 3 - VOLUNTEERING
While not required, entrants are encouraged to volunteer four hours during the Fair. Volunteer opportunities include Photography Exhibit desk (answer general queries and log sales of photographs) during the Preview Sale and Fair, Varnishing Night set up or breakdown, and other tasks related to the Exhibit.
As thanks, volunteers will receive free Fair entry on the day of volunteering and one additional Fair ticket. Please indicate on the Entry Form the time you are available to volunteer.
The utmost care will be taken of all work submitted. However, the Waterford Foundation, Inc. is not responsible for loss or damage and assumes no liability for works not collected on the specified dates. All work is entered at the owner’s risk.
The Waterford Foundation reserves the right to reject any entry.
PHOTOGRAPHY EXHIBIT COMMITTEE
Jill P. Beach, Sky Richardson, Jim Hanna.
Susanne Page, Joan Berardo, Tom Edmonds, Gerry D’Onofrio, Dora Ramirez
DIRECTIONS TO THE RED BARN
From Leesburg VA – To reach Waterford, Virginia and the Red Barn from Leesburg, Virginia.
Go west on Route 7 two miles to the Route 9 interchange.
Turn north (right) onto Route 9.
As you reach Waterford (about 3 miles), turn left onto Factory Street then right onto Second Street.
Continue on Second Street to 15487 and take a left down the alley next to the Waterford Market to reach the Red Barn.
The Exhibit will be up the stairs.
Via GPS – You may also set your vehicle’s GPS to 15487 Second St., The Waterford Market, Waterford, VA.